Wednesday, November 20, 2013

All that I remember.

It shakes me up like a snow globe to remember us 
as we were the day we met,
us
you and me
hard to believe
that we were ever that young.

You used to smoke all my cigarettes when I still smoked
I always paid for everything 
and lied about it to everyone,
embarrassed that you used me
acting like I didn't realize 
because I loved you so much.

You never loved me until it was too late by that time I had grown up enough to know it couldn't  work,                  
 I always knew
that awful truth
beneath my consistent disappointment.
My constant letdown
was poetic
as all things are in retrospect.

Some can't believe I would ever make amends
but we both know I was awful too.
There are things that happened
between us
Remembering them 
only for us.

And I am still sorry
And I still think about you
On the way home from work when the sun is in my eyes
and when I've had too much to drink.

You look happy.



1 comment:

  1. Crap, I just commented & I don't think it went through.
    I love how you write and I really mean it.
    My friend Adam asked me to read his poetry once and then give honest feedback. I did and I didn't like his poems. Everybody else(um his livejournal.com readers) told him they were the most romantic and amazing poems but they sucked.

    "On the way home from work when the sun is in my eyes and when I've had too much to drink" fuckin' poignant girl!

    ReplyDelete